In this article, I have brought to you what VPN is, and following it are the reasons you need VPN, buttressed as real advantages of VPN.
We accept sponsored posts that are honest and related to the topics we cover here on BuzzFeedNg.com. Contact us via [admin(at)buzzfeedng.com] or [coolieecoldex(at)gmail.com]
Also, here in this guide are other important things you need to know about VPN, like how a VPN works, the types, the disadvantages, and finally, how you can get started with a recommended VPN service. Now let us get down with the topic.
What is a VPN?
VPN is simply an abbreviation that stands for Virtual Private Network. From the name (virtual and private), one can understand that VPN is a technology that lets users create a secure yet hidden or private internet connection.
VPN simply encrypts an internet connection from a device, ensuring that sensitive data is not made available about VPN user(s).
There are several uses of VPN, and they include:
- In the corporate world, Virtual Private Network is used to access corporate applications and resources among remote users and branch offices. Data is passed across the network securely.
- It is also used by individuals to hide their personal information over the internet. Such information could be a location. Thus VPN breaks the limitations associated with a user’s location.
- You can use a VPN to access your home or office network when you are traveling.
Why You Need A VPN
Do you need a VPN? Well, I think that is a question you will be able to answer after reading this aspect of the article.
So these are the reasons behind using a VPN:
1. Security Purpose: Data transferred over the internet through a VPN is secured and encrypted. This encryption can only be read or understood by your computer. By this, hackers will hardly break your security.
2. Internet Anonymity: VPN hides your identity from the internet. It changes or hides and protects your IP address and web proxies and keeps you completely anonymous over the internet.
3. Bypass Internet Regional Restrictions: With a VPN, you will be able to access websites or internet services not meant for your region.
4. Change your IP Address: With a VPN, you will be able to change your IP address to any country of your choice.
5. Securely Share Files: You can shares files over the internet safely using a VPN.
6. Remote Access to File: It is a massive advantage to corporate companies since they can access their company’s resources or files from the comfort of their homes VPN.
7. With a Virtual Private Network, you will be able to stream videos on Netflix and Hulu. These websites sometimes block VPN users, but there are known VPNs they do not block.
8. With a Virtual Private Network, you could prevent yourself from being logged while ‘torrenting.’
Now with all these before you, It is your decision to make whether or not to use a VPN.
How does it work?’
Another question that could strike a match of interest in us is how VPN works. Well, that is what is contained in this part of the article.
From what you already know (I believe) that VPN keeps your data or information secure from hackers or hidden from your Internet Service Provider, ISP, VPN has three fundamental features that keep you secured and safe:
- Authentication of connection
VPN sets up an authenticated connection between your computer (Client) and the network server (VPN Provider). The VPN provider has a Remote Access Server (RAS). The RAS is actually what your computer connects to when using a VPN.
Your computer then provides the necessary credentials needed for connection, and the RAS authenticates it using one of the many authentication methods.
With a Virtual Private Network client software, your computer establishes and maintains a connection to the VPN. Data packets sent across the VPN are placed inside one another, and this process is called encapsulation.
The encapsulated data packet is then encoded in such a fashion that it can only be read by your VPN client and server; this coding of a data packet is called encryption.
The encrypted data packets are then sent privately over the internet through a VPN, and this process is called Tunneling.
What are the types?
There are basically two types of VPN
- Remote Access VPN
- Site-to-Site VPN
In Remote Access, VPN users are allowed to connect to a private network and remotely access its services and resources. This type of VPN is useful in homes and offices.
In Corporate offices, it connects various devices outside the offices. An employee may use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to connect to his company’s private network and access some needed files. This type of VPN is used by individuals to bypass regional restrictions on the internet.
Site-to-Site VPN, also known as Router-to-Router Virtual Private Network (VPN), is mostly used by corporate companies and various organizations to connect to various branches in different geographical locations over the internet.
Practically speaking, site-to-site VPN creates a virtual bridge between different offices dispersed in various locations. In this type of VPN(Virtual Private Network), a router serves as a VPN Client while another router serves the purpose of a VPN Server.
Disadvantages of Using VPN
VPN comes with its peculiar limitations or disadvantages. So you must be sure of the odds you will face if you are using a Virtual Private Network.
- A VPN can decrease your internet connection speed.
- Not every website on the internet tolerates the use of VPNs on their site. So by using a VPN, you are risking being blocked from the services of such a website.
- Since many ills have been perpetrated through the use of VPN, some countries have banned the use of VPN. So if you are in such a country, make sure you are ready to face the law.
- Editing VPN codes is technical. An attempt to do so by unprofessional can revert the primary purpose of the VPN: data over the VPN may no longer be secure.
There are a few recommendations I will like to make regarding the Virtual Private Network (VPN) services you can use. Yes, you can get many free VPNs out there, but I hope you really want to be using a VPN and not the other way round?
Some Virtual Private Networks causes more harm than good. So be sure of what you want to use (if at all I have convinced you to use a VPN).
I hope to have given you much of what I know about Virtual Private Network aka VPN. Did you get the information you wanted?
Please check out JoyofAndroid recommendation of affordable VPN services here: https://joyofandroid.com/best-free-vpn-apps-android/
Copyright & Warning: Published contents on this blog may not be reproduced, republished, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment.
The blog content on this site is written and published with good intentions. If you own this content & believe that your copyright was violated or infringed, please ensure you contact us via [admin(at)buzzfeedng.com] or [coolieecoldex(at)gmail.com] to file a complaint and actions will be taken with an immediate effect.