How to Add Highlights on Instagram
Instagram stories are brief picture and video posts that appear in the stories feed as a full-screen slideshow for up to 24 hours. If you want to keep a story available for longer than 24 hours, add it to your profile as Instagram story Highlights before you decide to delete it.
What Are Instagram Highlights?
Highlights are stories that are permanently pinned to the top of your Instagram profile. Any story you publish stays in your followers’ feeds for 24 hours before disappearing. When you add a story to your Highlights, it appears as a circular icon above your main feed for anyone who visits your profile, even after it has vanished from their main stories feed.
Highlights don’t have to be confined to only one story; they can be a series. A single Highlight can contain up to 100 picture or video stories. You can also add an unlimited number of Highlights to your profile.
A Highlight will remain in your profile forever unless you manually delete it. You will see who viewed your Highlights in the same way as you can see who viewed everyday stories.
Your Highlights can be seen by anyone who has access to your stories. Anyone can see your stories and Highlights if your Instagram profile isn’t private. To change your story privacy settings, go to your profile, tap the menu icon in the upper right, select Settings > Privacy > Story, and then Hide Story From to hide your stories from followers you don’t want to see them.
What Are the Benefits of Using Instagram Highlights?
Highlights are perfect for content that you want to carry around for more than 24 hours but can’t fit into a regular picture or video message (such as the need to crop them). They’re also great for less formal content where you don’t need a lot of likes and feedback.
Highlights for your profile should be stories that catch unforgettable moments or mean something to you. Your Highlights are available to anyone who visits your profile and can be tapped to see your favorite posts.
You can render a Highlight in one of two ways:
- You can access your story archive from your profile.
- Using your current live stories (within 24 hours of it being posted).
Highlights can be viewed on profiles through Instagram.com, but they can’t be posted. The steps below will show you how to use the Instagram app for iOS and Android to post Highlights. The iOS version has screenshots, but Android users will follow along with a nearly identical program.
How to Share a Profile Highlight on Instagram
You can use your Instagram profile to share a Highlight. The Highlight will appear on your profile after it has been posted.
- Tap the profile icon in the bottom menu of the Instagram app.
- Above your grid of messages, tap the Story Highlights mark.
- New is indicated by a plus sign (+).
- A list of your most recently archived stories appears in a grid (along with the dates when they were posted). Attach a checkmark to the stories you want to feature in a single Highlight by clicking the circle at the bottom of one or more of them.
- After you’ve picked the stories you want to include in a single Highlight, tap Next.
- In the upper-right corner, tap Add. It’s visible in your profile.