Facebook Groups are a great way to connect with like-minded people and share stories, advice, and bond over common interests. But like many a great thing on the Internet, Facebook Groups are also prone to infighting, trolls, spam, and off-topic conversations, all of which get in the way—or may even destroy—the original goals of the group.
How do I create a group?
To create a group:
- Click in the top right of Facebook and select Create Group.
- Enter your group name, add group members and then choose the privacy setting for your group.
- Click Create.
- Once you create your group, you personalize it by uploading a cover photo and adding a description.
To change the name of your group:
- From your News Feed, click Groups in the left menu and select your group.
- Below your cover photo, click More and select Edit Group Settings.
- Next to Group Name, click to change the group name.
- Click Save at the bottom.
Once you change the name of your group, all members will receive a notification that you’ve changed the name.
To leave a group, go to the group, click Joined at the top and then select Leave Group.
- You’re removed from the member list and the group will be removed from your list of groups.
- You’ll no longer get group notifications.
- People will no longer know when you’ve seen a group post, even if you saw it before you left the group.
- How do I remove or block someone from a group?
To remove or block a member: Click Members at the top left of your group.
- Find the member you want to remove.
- Click next to the member’s name and select Remove from Group.
- Click to check the box if you’d like to delete posts, comments and pending member invites from the person you’d like to remove or block.
- To remove this person from other groups you manage, you may select the option to apply these changes to other groups you manage.
- Click to check the box next to Block Permanently to block a member you’re removing.
- Click Confirm.
- Note: Only admins will see appear next to group members’ names.
- Removed members will have to request to join the group again if they wish to rejoin. Blocked members won’t be able to find the group in search or see any of its content, and they can’t be added to the group again by members.
- To remove a block you’ve put on someone:
- Click Members at the top left of your group.
- Click Blocked to the right.
- Click Remove Block next to the person’s name.