What is About Blank and Why Do I See it? When browsing the web, considering an “about: blank” page should be an infrequent occurrence. An “about:blank” tab is an empty browser page that is created when something incorrect. This page comes up or is displayed when Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Apple Safari, phoenix, and any other browser has nothing else to display. There are many reasons for the “about:blank” page, from malware infections and detached malware corruption to adware, removed adware corruption, and from opening links in a new tab manually. About: blank issue does not mean that you have an infected computer, although it is still very possible as this is one of the major causes of it. Most often, a blank page arises when the browser fails to create information, so it transmits to the blank page.
Below is more detailed information about:Blank page.
We at BuzzFeedNg are lovers of great contents; we accept posts contribution that are honest and related to the topics that we cover here on BuzzFeedNg.com. Kindly send your post to us via [admin(at)buzzfeedng.com] or [coolieecoldex(at)gmail.com] and we will publish free of charge.
Continue reading below;
What is About:Blank?
“About” is part of the Universal Resource Identifier (URI) system that all browsers utilize. The About page structure is focused on giving information to its users, and the “Blank” page is apparently an empty or void page. About pages are created within the browser itself, not recovered from the Internet.
Is About:Blank Malware?
In most cases, about:blank pages are not malware or adware, but they can be triggered by them. Blank tabs also transpire when malware or adware was detached, and it left the browser in a nonfunctional or non-default status. A lot of about:blank pages occur when malware or adware gets detached and contained code that was integrated into the browser, which is not present anymore, and nothing interchanged it. When the code or data is detached, the browser’s settings and preferences are not correctly set anymore. Therefore, the screen turns out to be a blank page or tab.
What Are The Top Causes for About:Blank Pages?
As briefly mentioned in the initial paragraph of this article, about:blank pages happens from browser settings such as misconfigured or corrupt data, most times caused when malware or adware is detached. This setting most often leaves the browser in a non-default state or an incomplete state.
Other possible causes for “about:blank” tabs include the followings:
- Bugs in code (basically created from websites or applications that open URLs in your browser)
- Bugs in browsers (browsers such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Apple Safari, phoenix, etc.)
- Opening certain website links in a new tab manually, using the right-click option (for instance, only, but not always, when active code has its own set of instructions to open the links)
- Webpage still loading (ensure to clicked link to soon)
- Bad Internet connection due to poor network (causes miscoded data, leading to blank pages)
- Infected or corrupted page cache
- Lastly Add-ons or extensions
How to Fix About:Blank Problems in Chrome
Below are the possible suggestions that can assist in solving about:blank problems are for Google Chrome, but they can also be applied or adapted to any other browser.
To fix “about:blank” issues, just follow these simple steps.
- Firstly, open Chrome, if it was close, but if it was open, proceed to the next step below.
- Here you are to select the menu and click More Tools.
- Search and select Clear Browsing Data when this is done proceed to the next step
- Ensure you select All Time from the drop-down menu.
- Check all boxes in both the Basic and Advanced tabs on your browser
- Ensure you select Clear Data.
Note if clearing the cache doesn’t work, you can attempt deactivating extensions. In case your extension is outdated, or you’ve added a new one just before you began observing “about:blank,” it may be difficult.
How to disable Chrome extensions, the following steps are involved;
- Open Chrome then search and select the three-dot menu icon.
- Select More Tools on your browser.
- Select Extensions.
- Endeavor to disable one, two, or more of the new, old or out-of-date extensions by unchecking their boxes.
Troubleshooting extensions is a problem of trial and error. Disabling can be one at a time and retest to categorize which extension is triggering the problem, or it can be disabled all at once and then can be added back, one by one. Since you have retest between enabling each extension, you can easily and quickly find the cause of the problem.
If all these attempts fail, stay calm there is still a way out you can reset Chrome to its default settings, or even uninstall and reinstall the browser.
How to reset Chrome, these steps are to be followed;
- Firstly, open the menu and select Settings.
- Scroll down, select, and click on Advanced.
- Scroll down to Restore settings to their original defaults and select it.
- Select Reset Settings.
The process above will clear out ALL custom settings, extensions, and other changes you have made to Chrome, and it should be used as a last resort.
As you can see, “about:blank” pages appear for numerous reasons. Fortunately, these pages are not hazardous and will not infect your computer with any malware or viruses, etc. yet, when these pages begin to pop up regularly. Most times it can be very stinging, getting rid of these pages is very stress-free. Following the steps outlined in this article above, you should be able to recognize and fix the challenges that are causing your “about:blank” problem and benefit from browsing again! Of course, some people prefer setting their homepage as a blank one, and that is absolutely fine, in as much as you won’t experience repeated blank pages for no reason of your own.
Thank you for reading!
Disclosure: This post can include affiliate links, which means that if you click a link and buy anything we suggested, we may earn a fee. Read more about Affiliate disclosure here.
I hope this post was helpful? show your support by sharing these articles to your friends and relatives who might need it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram using the share button below.
Copyright & Warning: Published contents on this blog may not be reproduced, republished, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment.
The blog content on this site is written and published with good intentions. If you own this content & believe that your copyright was violated or infringed, please ensure you contact us via [admin(at)buzzfeedng.com] or [coolieecoldex(at)gmail.com] to file a complaint and actions will be taken with an immediate effect.